I am doing some experiments with contact angle of liquids on chrome stainless steel and was wondering if in the literature there is already experimental data for contact angles of different fluids on different types of surface. I am certain that this data has to exist somewhere, so I'm wondering if there is some particle review or research article where it is collated.

  • $\begingroup$ Exactly what are you trying ti measure? $\endgroup$ – R.W. Bird Jul 31 at 14:16
  • $\begingroup$ I was being a bit unclear sorry, I am studying sphere impacts on a body of liquid where the type of liquid is varied (an example liquid might be 5 cSt silicone oil. The spheres are chrome stainless steel ball bearings. It would be useful to know the contact angles of different liquids on chrome steel, as otherwise I have to try to measure it, and I feel like there most be existing experimental databases on contact angles. $\endgroup$ – Tom Jul 31 at 14:37
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This smells suspiciously like someone trying to get the internet to do their literature review for them. $\endgroup$ – Pranav Hosangadi Jul 31 at 14:42
  • $\begingroup$ Your comment smells of presumption. $\endgroup$ – Tom Jul 31 at 15:34
  • $\begingroup$ Are you looking for bounce, penetration depth, wave generation, what? $\endgroup$ – R.W. Bird Jul 31 at 18:14

You will find tables of this sort of data within the materials science literature under key words wettability, spreading, capillary rise, contact angle, and surface energy.

You will also find surface energy test fluid sets consisting of ranked series of specially-prepared chemical solutions with distinct and well-controlled surface energies. placing droplets of these fluids on a test sample allows you to estimate the surface energy of that sample, by observing whether the test fluid balls up into spheres or spreads out into a film on the surface.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ I've done many searches and not sure if what I'm looking for exists, I would simply like the contact angle for a regular chrome stainless steel sample when a droplet is placed on it of different liquids: 2 cSt glycerol solution, for example, or silicone oil. It seems like the literature often assumes that you either talking about a modified surface and/or contact angle of water? $\endgroup$ – Tom Jul 31 at 18:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.