both divergence and curl of a vector field have a formal definition, however, we don't use these definitions when we compute the divergence or curl. so can we just derive the computations from the definitions?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ What do you mean with 'we don't use these definitions'?, because I think we do. Or can you give the definitions? $\endgroup$ – WarreG Jan 24 '19 at 10:09
  • $\begingroup$ Would Mathematics be a better home for this question? $\endgroup$ – Qmechanic Jan 24 '19 at 10:17
  • $\begingroup$ I just want to know how to derive the formula for the curl or divergence from their formal definitions $\endgroup$ – gogo oka Jan 24 '19 at 16:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.