Is there a word or phrase for when someone is testing for a certain result thereby skewing his findings?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ If you don't have luck here, try english.stackexchange.com $\endgroup$ – BMS Feb 11 '14 at 3:14
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This question appears to be off-topic because it is about non-physics-specific terminology. Depending on interpretations it is either about a psychology term or a statistical notion. $\endgroup$ – user10851 Feb 11 '14 at 3:50
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This question appears to be off-topic because it not about physics and should be on english.stackexchange.com $\endgroup$ – Kyle Kanos Feb 11 '14 at 3:50

Confirmation bias might be what you're after.

From wiki:

Confirmation bias [...] is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.


| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ not exactly, the question doesn't say that the someone is favouring to take only positive results $\endgroup$ – unsym Feb 11 '14 at 3:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.