Is there a word or phrase for when someone is testing for a certain result thereby skewing his findings?


closed as off-topic by user10851, tpg2114, Kyle Kanos, Brandon Enright, Dilaton Feb 11 '14 at 6:57

  • This question does not appear to be about physics within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ If you don't have luck here, try english.stackexchange.com $\endgroup$ – BMS Feb 11 '14 at 3:14
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This question appears to be off-topic because it is about non-physics-specific terminology. Depending on interpretations it is either about a psychology term or a statistical notion. $\endgroup$ – user10851 Feb 11 '14 at 3:50
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This question appears to be off-topic because it not about physics and should be on english.stackexchange.com $\endgroup$ – Kyle Kanos Feb 11 '14 at 3:50

Confirmation bias might be what you're after.

From wiki:

Confirmation bias [...] is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.


  • $\begingroup$ not exactly, the question doesn't say that the someone is favouring to take only positive results $\endgroup$ – unsym Feb 11 '14 at 3:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.