I was wondering if a hologram could be made that could focus light that wasn't in the original hologram. I'm assuming that this would have to be a mathematically constructed hologram as, by my understanding, a hologram of an actual lens can only focus light of images in the actual hologram.


2 Answers 2


The hologram of a single coherent point source is called a zone plate and acts as a lens. You can understand this by thinking about the typical operation of the hologram: it takes a reference beam of parallel light rays in and puts out a set of rays that converge at the desired point. But that's just what a lens does. The zone plate is more sensitive to changes in the wavelength and direction of the incoming light than a typical refractive lens; see the linked page for the distinctive effect on photos taken with a zone plate.

A home printer these days often has just enough resolution to directly print out such a zone plate, if the pattern is computed beforehand. The "traditional method" is purportedly drawing out a large version of the plate and taking a photo of it on film to get it to the right size. If you tried to holographically record one, you'd need a coherent point source, and a simple way to get one is to pass the hologram's illumination laser through a lens. So in some sense the answer to the question "which holograms act like lenses?" is simply "holograms of lenses." The caveat is that that means holograms of strictly lenses; the effect is lost if the illuminating beam hits a scatterer before it hits the lens, which is the idea I think you were getting at. Conceivably you could mix the effects if you took a hologram of a scene where a lens is partly illuminated directly by the laser and partly by a scatterer reflecting the laser. Illuminating the resulting hologram with something other the reference beam would superpose the result of passing the illumination through the lens (desired) with a blur of light from the failed reconstruction of the scatterer (undesired, but maybe controllable).

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Us old-timers still call it a "Fresnell zone plate" -- tho of course you can create holographic lenses of other design. $\endgroup$ Jan 24, 2022 at 16:00

Yes, indeed! I’m not sure whether you could make such a hologram the old-fashioned way, but nowadays you can engineer a flat lens by varying the phase profile appropriately across a surface. Look up “metasurface lens”. These are typically made of nanofabricated structures on a transparent substrate, or I suppose you could use a spatial light modulator.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.