I found rainbows on my computer screen. I can glimpse some faint color if I look at the screen from the side at a sharp angle. It is a lot more obvious when I reflect it off a dark surface (shown here, on a black electric water heater).

What is it?

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


Your colored rings are part of a bullseyes pattern that can be seen in some smartphones and tablets with a birefringent layer in the screen, if the screen is viewed through a linear polarizing filter (A). The same effect appears if the reflection in a dark surface is seen, because the shiny surface behaves like a linear polarizing filter (B). See link

photo of bullseyes pattern


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.