$erg$ is an Energy unit, which means that it is equal to $\frac{mass{\cdot}distance^2}{time^2}$. If I want to calculate the kinetic energy of a body in erg units, in what units should the distance and mass be?

By "what units" I mean $kg$ or $gram$ and $cm$, $m$ or $km$ not $inch$ vs. $m$.

  • $\begingroup$ 1 erg is $10^{-7}$ joules, so $1\;\text{erg} = 10^{-7}\;\text{kg}\,\text{m}^2\,\text{s}^{-2}$. $\endgroup$ – Pulsar May 27 '13 at 11:47
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Pulsar, why is it not an answer? $\endgroup$ – SIMEL May 27 '13 at 11:49
  • $\begingroup$ A comment is more suitable for 1 line of info. Answers are more appropriate for longer explanations. $\endgroup$ – Pulsar May 27 '13 at 11:56
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Pulsar: Then, I'd argue that it's definitely not what you think. Of course, I've seen line-answers (cruelly, even word-answers). It gets in the low-quality review queue and we just say it looks good. There's no rule that small answers should be written as comments ;-) $\endgroup$ – Waffle's Crazy Peanut May 27 '13 at 12:47

Use CGS units: grams and cm, as you asked.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.