I am wondering if this type of experiment been done. You observe the phenomenon either by the usual double slit exeprimenet and by delayed choice experiment. You record the which way path as usual. You would naturally expect that wave function collapsed because it was recorded.
1. However, imagine that the recording mechanism was destroyed before anyone looked at the screen.
What would be the result then?
2. Now imagine that you recorded the which way path as far as you were concerned only to realize that your mechanism wasn't functioning. The fuse was burned and you never paid attention. What would be the result then?
3. Now imagine if the instrument got stolen and destroyed, never had a chance to observe the result. Infromation lost. What would be result?
4. But wait,,, by some freak act of nature years later, you came to find out that somehow the instrument was found not by act of looking for it but just by chance and you see the recording. Then what happens to the wave function?
5. What if as far as you were concerned you were not recording anything at all. But someone sneaked in and recorded the which way path. What would you see who wasn't messing with anything?
6. What if you send a signal but you don't record the return signal?
I guess my point with all of the above is to prove if JUST SENDING A SIGNAL and not any signal but one that actually interacts that cause a wave function to collapse. It most likely a misnomer that the recording or the some living person observing it that causes the wave function to localize.