A camera (that is FPA and objective) is a device that measures [intensity][1] or radiant intensity vs. two angles (horizontal & vertical). So it generates a representation of the physical quantity

$I(\phi, \theta)$

How is this "field" actually named in physics? I am looking for a radiometric, photometric, ray-optics or similar term.

A few options that come to my mind:

  • Intensity field
  • Radiant intensity field
  • Light field (I think this is something else)

Examples: A voltmeter is a device that measures voltage, a clock is a device that measures time. An impedance analyzer is a device that measures an impedance spectrum (i.e. V/A vs. frequency). But what does a camera measure? (camera including objective, not just the sensor array)

[1]: For simplicity let ignore here color and also non-linear response of typical consumer cameras.

  • $\begingroup$ The field is the electromagnetic field $\mathbf E(\mathbf r, t)$. The intensity is just $|\mathbf E|^2$. $\endgroup$ – John Rennie Jan 26 at 11:16
  • $\begingroup$ @JohnRennie I see your point. Perhaps I should have said that I am looking for radiometric, photometric or ray-optics term (which I did not think of when writing the question). $\endgroup$ – Andreas H. Jan 26 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.