0
$\begingroup$

I mistakenly poured water on my the area of my TV remote which has the cell and apparently the circuit connections.A thing to ponder is that why doesnt a circuit work when it becomes wet , despite it being a good conductor. I see this in case of modems , telephones


I searched on net and it said that water provides an extra path leading to short circuit which I dont find justifiable like how is there a short circuit?

$\endgroup$

1 Answer 1

4
$\begingroup$

Well if there is a wire coming from the positive terminal of the battery, then into the remote’s circuitry then to the negative terminal, water may cause a link between these wires before the current has a chance to circulate through this circuitry. This will obviously stop the remote from working at all.

Sometimes the water will short other component wires “further down-stream” inside the circuit board and the remote may partially work.

Of course such electronic circuits are much more complicated and these are simple examples of what may be a more complicated process.

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.