I know one can simply excite a nucleon from a nucleus by radiating gamma rays on that nucleus, or knock the nucleus with neutrons or protons.

But how can we knock out a proton specially to change one element to the another? Are there any special methods for such process?


If we are talking specifically about making a proton in a nucleus go away, one way to do it is by smacking an electron into a proton, which changes it into a neutron and a neutrino. In this manner the proton "goes away", but not by being knocked loose.

Neutrons can be knocked loose from some nuclei by striking them with high-energy protons, a process called spallation.

  • $\begingroup$ The classic would be the 14N(n,p)14C reaction in the atmosphere. $\endgroup$ – Jon Custer Jul 13 '20 at 21:10
  • $\begingroup$ yep yep! thanks for the comment. -NN $\endgroup$ – niels nielsen Jul 13 '20 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.