We have a name for the thermal energy associated with the change of potential energy during a phase transition. Unless I'm very mistaken, we call this latent heat.

Here we have $Q=mL$.

But what about the ordinary heat, the heat associated with a change in temperature?

Here we have $Q=mc\Delta T$.

Is it just called 'heat'? 'Kinetic heat'? 'Manifest heat'?

Is there currently a name for this if we wanted to call both types of thermal energy 'heat', then one would be 'latent heat' and the other would be .... what?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It is called sensible heat. $\endgroup$ – Chet Miller Nov 3 '19 at 11:12
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. I knew there was a word, but without it, it was difficult to look up. Although that seems to imply that latent heat is crazy heat. $\endgroup$ – David Elm Nov 3 '19 at 18:46
  • $\begingroup$ @DavidElm You have to read sensible as "something which may be observed by using senses", not as something "which makes sense". This way, latent heat means the heat which is hidden to the senses. Which makes sense :-) $\endgroup$ – GiorgioP Nov 3 '19 at 22:46
  • $\begingroup$ Good point. It still sounds a bit funny. But I'll use it. $\endgroup$ – David Elm Nov 4 '19 at 5:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.