In Higgs physics of the Standard Model, there is only one Higgs. The Higgs belong to a Higgs doublet. After electroweak symmmetry breaking, there is only one remaining Higgs, and 3 Goldstone bosons.

My question is then, why do we call the Higgs doublet with the word "doublet" while there is only one Higgs ? I would think that it should be called like Higgs isospin doublet ? What is "doublet" used for : for the Higgs or for the isospin ?

If I would like to express a model with several Higgs, should I say "multiple Higgs", or "Higgs belonging to a multiplet", or "Higgs belonging to a Higgs multiplet" ?. I ask this, because if I use "belonging to a multiplet", it seems that it would be wrong because the case of only one Higgs would belong already to a doublet of Higgs.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.