What is the name of a material that moves light through it in such a way that it appears that the surface of an object has translated through the material? Also, what is an example of this type of material?

image that shows an example of normal transparency and the type of surface translation I'm looking for

From very distant memory, I think this does not occur in nature, but is a metamaterial that can be created by binding fiber optic fibers together. But I cannot find a reference or a material on the market.

  • $\begingroup$ An additional content for background: My 8th grade science teacher gave us a hunk of quartz and a hunk of something else. This was back in the 90s and fiber optics were incredibly rare. But I think I remember him stating that this was a characteristic of bundled fiber optics. $\endgroup$
    – Tallima
    May 31 '19 at 20:54
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Like this? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite $\endgroup$
    – PM 2Ring
    May 31 '19 at 21:10
  • $\begingroup$ Yes. That's exactly what we had in 8th grade science class. Ulexite. Thank you! $\endgroup$
    – Tallima
    May 31 '19 at 21:44

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite:

The light transmits.

An example found in nature is Ulexite.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.