is there any experimental method for measurement of thickness at atomic scale? there are some methods for measurement of thickness even at nano scales such as AFM,TEM but my question is about atomic scale? notice: I'd like to know how can we measure the thickness "at atomic Dimensions"?(experimental method)

  • $\begingroup$ If you have a uniform layer, you can use interferometry. The rainbow-coloured oil stains on water, they are few molecules thick and you can measure this thickness by naked eye looking at the colors $\endgroup$ – patta May 27 at 15:49
  • $\begingroup$ Light absorption may be another way $\endgroup$ – patta May 27 at 15:49
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ AFM and TEM I guess can go down to 1/10 nanometer, that is about an atom $\endgroup$ – patta May 27 at 15:50
  • $\begingroup$ AFM was used to measure one-layer graphene $\endgroup$ – HiddenBabel May 27 at 15:57
  • $\begingroup$ At the atomic level there are the form factors:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_factor_(quantum_field_theory) "In general, the Fourier transforms of form factor components correspond to electric charge or magnetic profile space distributions (such as the charge radius) of the hadron involved.". At the individual scale the thickness depends on the energy of the probe. $\endgroup$ – anna v May 27 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.