Why is a circuit with a resistor and inductor called an RL circuit and not an RI circuit?

Was there a now-obsolete name for an inductor that started with the letter $L$?


closed as off-topic by Qmechanic Apr 7 at 16:18

  • This question does not appear to be about physics within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ We don't use m for momentum but we use p $\endgroup$ – user227513 Apr 7 at 16:17
  • $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it doesn't contain a single gram of actual physics. $\endgroup$ – Qmechanic Apr 7 at 16:18

Quoted from Wikipedia: Inductance:

It is customary to use the symbol $L$ for inductance, in honour of the physicist Heinrich Lenz.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.