I am a high school chemistry/physics teacher and I was just wondering what the phase change into/out of a Bose-Einstein Condensate is called? Thanks!

  • $\begingroup$ I'm not sure that it is common enough to have a name such as 'melting'. But I'm open to correction by a BEC physicist... $\endgroup$ – Jon Custer Jan 31 at 16:20

The phase change is simply called "Bose condensation" or "Bose-Einstein condensation"

https://www.nature.com/articles/416211a https://www.nist.gov/publications/bose-condensation-photons-thermalized-laser-cooling-atoms

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks! Does it transition back to a solid? Is there a name for that change? Thanks! $\endgroup$ – Mark Haught Jan 31 at 15:25
  • $\begingroup$ Atoms in solids do not undergo Bose-condensation, usually it is a gas/vapor to Bose-Einstein condensate transition. In solids the analogous transition is the superfluid/superconducting transition. In both cases, you would usually call the reverse process simply "melting". $\endgroup$ – KF Gauss Jan 31 at 15:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.