We know that if a ball rolls down a ramp, then the component of its weight acting down in the direction of the ramp is $g\sin\theta$. Therefore, we can substitute that into $s=ut+at^2/2$ to get $s=(g\sin\theta)t^2/2$, where $s$ denotes the height of the ramp.

But if you put in $s/\text{(length of ramp)}$ for $\sin\theta$, the $s$ cancels out and the equation breaks.

What am I getting wrong about this?

  • $\begingroup$ Just curious, I've never heard term "diluted gravity", where did you find that? $\endgroup$
    – Charlie
    Commented Oct 11, 2018 at 23:49
  • $\begingroup$ @Charlie It's a famous (I think) experiment done by Galileo. Google "galileo diluted gravity" or something like that. $\endgroup$
    – Ivan
    Commented Oct 11, 2018 at 23:54
  • $\begingroup$ Oh I guess I knew it by another name since I'm not a native English speaker. $\endgroup$
    – Charlie
    Commented Oct 12, 2018 at 0:23

2 Answers 2


where s becomes the vertical height of the ramp

This is incorrect. The displacement $s$ is the distance covered, i.e. the length of the ramp.


The confusion arises because you're mixing variables. Let $h$ be the height of your ramp and $L$ the length, with $\theta$ being the angle with respect to the ground. Therefore, this means that:


As the ball rolls down it traverses the hypotenuse, so your equation, assuming no initial velocity, should instead read:

$s=\frac{1}{2}gSin\theta t^2$

Where $s$ denotes the displacement component parallel to the hypothenuse (where the ball rolls). In other words, you used $s$ both as the distance traversed and the height of the ramp, so got that inconsistency. Now if you substitute the definition of sinus:


Which doesn't lead to any problems. So be careful with naming your variables.

As an exercise, you may want to see what happens when $s=L$. What would this mean?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.