I learned about the spectral hole burning. On Wikipedia, it said

Spectral hole burning is the frequency-selective bleaching of the absorption spectrum of a material, which leads to an increased transmission (a "spectral hole") at the selected frequency.

In that excerpt, does 'transmission' mean 'transparency'? I don't think so, but, I'd like to know exactly difference between transmission and transparency.

Also, in that sentence, what does bleaching mean?


Photobleaching is the process by which a dye loses its 'color' - it stops absorbing light at certain frequencies.

The mechanisms by which this happen are nontrivial but you can kind of intuitively understand why it happens: if a molecule absorbs a photon of some frequency, that energy must go into some kind of excitation mode. There is some probability that that excitation will destroy a covalent bond, transforming the molecule into a different one, which is unlikely to absorb energy at that same frequency (or be very frequency selective at all).

'Transmission' may not be transparency generally; it just means that photons pass through instead of being absorbed or reflected.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.