When talking about models in physics, I want a way to differentiate between surfaces that have negligible and considerable friction. We have "frictionless" for surfaces where friction is negligible, but is there a word like "friction-full" or something synonymous with that for surfaces with considerable friction in the same physical setting?

  • $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question (v2) as off-topic because it seems to be more about the English language than physics. $\endgroup$
    – Qmechanic
    May 16, 2018 at 21:07
  • $\begingroup$ Agreed. Vote the same way. There is no physics in the question, and what is scary is that it elicited over 200 views, so far. $\endgroup$
    – Bob Bee
    May 16, 2018 at 23:52
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ So, it's already answered, and it clearly has to do with physics and proven by textbooks, but for some reason you're in denial that it has to do with the conventions that physicists use? That seems anti-science. $\endgroup$
    – user195852
    May 17, 2018 at 0:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Rock climbers talk about how "grippy" the soles of their shoes are. $\endgroup$ May 17, 2018 at 0:03
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I asked my dog this question and he said ruff! $\endgroup$ May 17, 2018 at 15:51

1 Answer 1


Yes, indeed. If a surface has friction that can affect an object then the surface is simply and almost universally called rough. You’ll often see this stated in many mechanics or physics books in solving problems.