My son asked me at the beach how are "sand stones" formed. These are the solid (but fragile) sand conglomerates which you can hold in your hand and which crumble to sand once pressed.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

I tried some hand waving about "cement-like" formations and how these grains of sands are held together because they dried "in a specific way" but he was not impressed and neither was I.

Is there a name for these structures so that I can look up how they are formed?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ While this question seems perfectly suited to Physics SE, you might find the geologists over at earth sciences SE have given it more thought. $\endgroup$
    – lemon
    Commented Apr 26, 2018 at 7:32


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.