I'm writing a Sci Fi novel and I'm trying to come up with a (fairly) realistic or at least vaguely plausible mechanism for this person's ability to exist and function.
Hypothetically, would it be possible for a person to somehow observe an event in the past, like watching a scene from a movie.
- Not to time travel. Their physical body wouldn't have to travel to the past event. But they would need to be able to observe an event.
- Also not to interact or change the event, simply observe.
- Would only need to be able to look back an hour or two, even minutes in the past, not years etc... although I'm not sure if this would make any difference.
- Can be an innate "ability" but doesn't have to be.
I just need hypothetical explanation for how this could be possible, if at all, doesn't need to be in great detail, just an outline.
What I've read about as possible thoughts, but don't understand well enough are:
- Light Manipulation (would possible to manipulate the light in such a way as to observe past events?)
- Perhaps even something like Gravitational Lensing? Where the light of the event is bent/ reflected and this person is somehow able to perceive it?
Unfortunately whilst I'm an avid reader, I'm not a physicist by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't know what to look for in the more complicated literature.
Any input appreciated! TIA