I'm working on a project that requires concentrating air flow into a beam such that it can travel longer distances through an unconstrained medium (i.e. open space, not a hose).

Something that came to mind are those little air nozzles that you find on air planes. These seem to do a pretty good job of directing air through a narrow path such that it doesn't effect nearby passengers.

What kind of mechanism is used to maintain this tight air flow?

  • $\begingroup$ suggest you ask this question on the aviation stack exchange. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 22:59
  • $\begingroup$ @nielsnielsen I was unsure where to post this but ultimately posted here since I assumed it was fluid dynamics related. $\endgroup$
    – Izzo
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 23:24
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ it is indeed, but it is more engineering-related than theoretical. the aviation exchange has a good mixture of both sorts of experts, and they are helpful people. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 4, 2018 at 1:29
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Izzo I've had luck with a fluid dynamics question in Engineering SE. I think it could go either way in Aviation SE, it is an equipment question rather than a passenger experience question, so it might work. $\endgroup$
    – uhoh
    Commented Mar 17, 2019 at 23:20

1 Answer 1


The first trick is to get the air molecules flowing in just one direction. You can do this by forcing them through a 'bundle of straws' rather than one tube.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ That's an interesting concept, similar to collimating light but with air. $\endgroup$
    – Izzo
    Commented Jan 3, 2018 at 23:23
  • $\begingroup$ @Izzo They're called straightners I believe, for use in wind tunnels. $\endgroup$
    – DKNguyen
    Commented May 12, 2021 at 18:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.