I was reading about a phenomenon called circular dichroism, in which LCP(left circularly polarized) and RCP(right circularly polarized) light are absorbed to different extents. Hence, when linearly polarized light(LCP+RCP with some phase between them) is passed though such a material, the output beam is elliptically polarized.

Can this elliptically polarized beam be "split up" physically, into constituent left and right circularly polarized beams. What I am picturing is a plate the lets only the LCP pass through or vice-versa.

  • $\begingroup$ For your interest: www.itos.de/en/itos-polarizers/circular-polarizers/ $\endgroup$ – Kay Jul 10 '17 at 21:55

One way to do it is to pass the beam through a quarter-wave plate, then through a traditional beam splitter that separates horizontal from vertical polarization, then through a quarter-wave plate again.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Pretty much. For an everyday instance (minus the second QWP), take a pair of modern 3D cinema glasses. (More details on this site here.) $\endgroup$ – Emilio Pisanty Apr 12 '17 at 6:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.