I've seen a few posts about what happens if the Earth stopped moving completely. Most seem to assume a scenario in which the Earth stops rapidly. In such scenarios, I have read that there would be tidal waves and extremely fast tornados.
Other posts (such as this one) state there will be no more hurricanes and the climate would obviously be different; with half the Earth overheating.
At dinner today we got onto the generic discussion of how there "isn't enough time in a day". It was this question which led to me saying we should develop a way to slow down the Earth's rotation.
A giant parachute
Obviously this isn't a good solution but one I quickly came out with.
I said that if we could slow the Earth's rotation then we'd have more time in our days. I couldn't see a flaw in this plan. Simply erect a giant parachute (or sail or fin like on a plane) to encounter air resistance ergo slowing the velocity of the Earth.
There are many flaws to this (naturally), such as the lack of air resistance in space meaning that there won't be any counter acting force to slow the Earth down.
Then the topic of gravity came up. Now I'm no expert when it comes to Physics (I love the idea of it all (but am too stupid) and I watched every episode of The Big Bang Theory), so correct anything that's wrong here. But, my understanding of gravity is that it's to do with mass and velocity. Now, I don't know why I think this or where I'd have heard it but it's what I think.
All things gravity
I don't really know how gravity works. I understand it that the more mass and high velocity then gravity will be stronger.
Slow, slow, fly off
One of our party stated that if the Earth were to slow down then we'd "fly off" the Earth...
I found this hilarious but it might be true. Here's what I think:
I thought that if we slowed down then gravity would be weaker and we'd be able to jump higher!
All things considered. I'll get to my point.
Too long, didn't read (tl;dr)
If the Earth's rotation were to slow down, what effects would take place? (By "slow down" I mean if it span at about half the rotations)
- Would the Earth's path around the sun change?
- What would happen to our gravity?
- Would the Earth spinning at half speed mean our days are twice as long?
- A comical question: could we slow down the Earth with some sort of parachute like a dragster has?
4.1. What about adding rockets to make us spin faster? (I'm sorry these are from the point, just find it a funny thought)
All my answers to these questions are based on my lack of knowledge of physics.
- Yes. I believe that we'd drift further from the Sun. After that I'm not sure whether we'd maintain a constant path around the sun or just continue away from the Sun.
- As stated above, I think we'd have weaker gravity.
- Yes. I feel like this is simple maths. Right? Right?!
- Making it big enough and keeping it within our atmosphere then yeah, I suppose we could.
4.1. As long as we don't go too fast, I don't want a headache.
Disclaimer: I am new here, I'm sorry if I haven't followed the question asking convention.