In the figure, the particle is impacting on the surface at an angle theta and velocity V2 along y direction.

In the figure, the particle is hitting the surface at an angle $\theta$ and velocity $V_2$ along the $y$ direction. Is there a name for this velocity? Can it be called orthogonal velocity?

I have worked out the velocity to be as following: $V_x = \frac{V_2}{\cot(\theta)}$.

Kindly guide me with this.

  • $\begingroup$ While the question "is there a name for this velocity" is perfectly legitimate (as a conceptual question), the rest isn't, as it is a homework-style question. Please ask about a specific conceptual problem at a step of your calculations that is giving you trouble and show your work to get to the solution. $\endgroup$ – karatechop Feb 19 '17 at 19:39
  • $\begingroup$ @heather I have removed the rest part of the question. It is the name of the velocity component that I am interested in knowing. $\endgroup$ – rcty Feb 19 '17 at 20:19
  • $\begingroup$ I am a bit confused by your figure. What is "y,2 /x,1"? Also, is $v_2$ in the figure meant to be the velocity vector shown or something else? Usually in this situation you would chose coordinates such that $x$ is parallel to the surface and $y$ perpendicular (or vice versa). I don't think there is a special name for the velocity component that is perpendicular to the surface. Calling it "orthogonal velocity (component)" seems reasonable and should be understood. $\endgroup$ – user1583209 Feb 19 '17 at 20:30
  • $\begingroup$ @rcty okay, I will withdraw my close vote then. +1 for a good question. $\endgroup$ – karatechop Feb 19 '17 at 20:50

I think you would describe the direction of $V_2$ as oblique, in contrast to normal (perpendicular to the surface) or glancing/grazing (almost parallel to the surface). The same terminology is used for light rays.

Well that is your conceptual question answered, so no more guidance is needed - ok?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.