I am looking for research opportunities for undergraduates in the field of plasma physics. I have found a couple program like SULI but need several more. I would like to know about more programs out there. Thank you.


Before answering, please see our policy on resource recommendation questions. Please write substantial answers that detail the style, content, and prerequisites of the book, paper or other resource. Explain the nature of the resource so that readers can decide which one is best suited for them rather than relying on the opinions of others. Answers containing only a reference to a book or paper will be removed!

closed as primarily opinion-based by Kyle Kanos, John Rennie, Jon Custer, Gert, David Hammen Jan 23 '17 at 8:29

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ This will almost certainly be closed as of topic—it's a question about a job, not about physics—but I'm sure the denizens of the chat room would entertain it. The only hitch being that you need 20 rep on some site in the network before you have full access to chat. Two upvotes on answers or four on question are all it take to get there. $\endgroup$ – dmckee Jan 21 '17 at 23:04
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I suspect that the community may think this question belongs on Academia or another such place, since it's about employment opportunities rather than about physics. But I personally think you might get good answers from this community, so I'll leave it for now. $\endgroup$ – rob Jan 21 '17 at 23:05
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I am guessing you are US based, because the last third of the UK "New Scientist" magazine is where they make their money, from advertising all types of career opportunities New Scientist Jobs. $\endgroup$ – user140606 Jan 21 '17 at 23:12
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you looking for lab or space plasmas? (the following are just places I know that have at least one professor in the field) For lab plasmas: Princeton Univ., Univ. of Wisconsin, UCLA. For space plasmas: Univ. of Colorado Boulder, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Univ. of Minnesota, Boston Univ., Univ. of New Hampshire, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins APL, Univ. of Maryland (the main one), Catholic Univ. (in MD), etc. $\endgroup$ – honeste_vivere Jan 21 '17 at 23:37
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @rob this question in its current form would be off topic on Academia SE, as it's a "shopping" question. $\endgroup$ – astronat Jan 21 '17 at 23:39