The usage of physics terminology outside of technically minded people seems limited. That's why I am curious about the phrase being on the same wavelength which as far as I understand is generally understood (and also exists in at least the German language, that's why I ask here and not at English language stackexchange).

  • What is the origin of this phrase?

  • Does it refer originally to interference or resonance or...?

  • What other physics/maths/engineering terms have made it into everyday English language?


closed as off-topic by John Rennie, Qmechanic Dec 22 '16 at 16:43

  • This question does not appear to be about physics within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ This seems a little off topic for the Physics Stackexchange and probably would do better on the English Language & Usage exchange. $\endgroup$ – scrappedcola Dec 22 '16 at 15:31
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not a question about physics $\endgroup$ – John Rennie Dec 22 '16 at 15:56

I imagine it originate from early radio transmissions, a clue only, I only really know that for two radios to communicate they must be tuned to the same wavelength.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.