Suppose I have a light wave and I want to measure its amplitude, or check to see if it has an amplitude of a certain value: how would one go about doing this?

  • $\begingroup$ Use a photodiode: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode. There are very expensive calibrated ones, but even the uncalibrated ones are useful for most purposes and they are reasonably priced (in the $1-10 range) e.g. mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/BPW20RF/…. Be aware that you are really measuring intensity ($W/m^2$) by measuring the photocurrent. If you want to measure really large areas, use a solar cell. They are basically very large photodiodes, just not as precise. $\endgroup$ – CuriousOne Jun 2 '16 at 21:22

Direct measurement of the amplitude of the optical field requires interferometric techniques. One that works is the FROG - Frequency Resolved Optical Grating. There are many variations on it today, including from the original developers: Trebino Research Group.

These devices were designed for ultrafast pulses. For CW one usually just measures intensity and polarization, followed by a computation.

| cite | improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.