I found a rock lodged between the fan and the radiator on my motorcycle. Now the fan does not work when the computer prompts it to. I tried directly attaching the 12 volt battery to it as well. No luck. My assumption is the motor was unable to overcome the friction and spin, thus getting too hot and 'burning out', but what exactly burned out here? I have some pictures attached to show you. Now to my understanding if this motor had winding that were intertwined, the actual copper would melt and cause an open circuit, which then would cause the issue. Now this DC motor looks a little different so this is why i'm confused as to why it stopped working. When I took it apart there was no physical damage to it. I've checked for continuity between all wires and everything checks out. So does copper lose some of its properties when super-heated, thus causing the magnets to stop spinning it? I'm really wondering what caused this motor to stop running. I can't seem to find anything wrong. Also, when it's put together there is very little resistance for it to spin freely. Electricity is flowing, or so it seems anyway.
closed as off-topic by rob♦, ACuriousMind♦, Martin, John Rennie, David Z♦ Apr 25 '16 at 12:08
This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:
- "This question appears to be about engineering, which is the application of scientific knowledge to construct a solution to solve a specific problem. As such, it is off topic for this site, which deals with the science, whether theoretical or experimental, of how the natural world works. For more information, see this meta post." – rob, ACuriousMind, Martin, John Rennie, David Z
Your reasoning goes astray when you speculate that overheating would cause an open circuit. The insulation melts before the copper, causing a short across many of the coil wraps. This reduces the strength of the electromagnet dramatically, causing the motor to not move.