We have several magnetic stands on my university, see here. This stand has a button which makes you able to turn the magnet off and on. It is quite hard to press the button, it seems like something mechanical. But it must be a permanent magnet since it doesn't run on electricity, so I wondered, how is it possible to "turn off" a permanent magnet? Or am I missing something?
In reaction to CuriousOne:
If the button causes the magnet inside to move, than how does this work since the button seems to be one solid pin inside the stand, see the two images.