7
$\begingroup$

I know almost nothing about physics. Last night my TV remote was not working. I chewed the batteries and woh! It still had power left.

How does chewing a battery increases its power? I think it's a 12V pair of batteries.

$\endgroup$

closed as off-topic by Jim, Danu, Kyle Oman, ACuriousMind, tom Jul 22 '15 at 22:43

  • This question does not appear to be about physics within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ total guess, cos I have never thought much about chewing batteries :) is that your saliva is slightly acidic and this has some effect. $\endgroup$ – user81619 Jul 22 '15 at 17:58
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Wait, a battery wasn't working so you tried to eat it? Did something get lost in translation? $\endgroup$ – user10851 Jul 22 '15 at 18:03
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Be very careful. If it's a lithium ion battery, chewing it might cause metal parts in the battery's interior to contact each other and short-circuit, which could cause a runaway thermal event. $\endgroup$ – Ernie Jul 22 '15 at 18:26
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Batteries will recover some power if you simply stop using them for a few minutes. During operation, reaction products tend to pile up at the electrodes which slows the forward reactions. If the battery is not used for a few minutes, the chemical products diffuse back into the bulk, and power output is temporarily improved. It is likely that the chewing provided the time for this to happen. $\endgroup$ – John1024 Jul 22 '15 at 19:12
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about the chemistry of chewing a battery to make it work again $\endgroup$ – Jim Jul 22 '15 at 19:44