I'm trying to make a scintillometer, based on Rytov's method. I've understood the whole phenomenon, and gone through some of the research papers in the field. But, I haven't encountered any definition as such. I was wondering whether there is any formal definition available.

  • $\begingroup$ I'm not sure, I understand your question but here is the wiki page for scintillations. $\endgroup$
    – Gonenc
    Jul 14, 2015 at 10:01

1 Answer 1



$\bullet$ The evaluation of the intensity fluctuations of the transmitted signals of a scintillometer.

$\bullet$ A rapid apparent displacement of a target indication from its mean position on a radar display; one cause is shifting of the effective reflection point on the target. (I myself don't like this second one though)

$\bullet$ A brief ($\approx 10^{–4} \to 10^{–9}\text{sec}$) flash of light that occurs in a scintillator under the action of ionizing radiation.

A link which you may find useful: scintillation

Please let me know if it was helpful.

  • $\begingroup$ @fluencyrequired please select it as answer if you feel it's helpful... $\endgroup$ Jul 14, 2015 at 17:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.