My cousins and I have a annual egg breaking tournament. First, each of us gets a hard boiled egg. Then, in a bracket tournament style, a pair of us face off in an egg breaking round: one person holds their egg, and their opponent smashes their own egg into the first's egg. Whoever's egg shell stays unbroken wins that round, and moves on, and the other person is eliminated.
This goes on in the regular tournament style, until one of us is declared the champion, and receives fame, glory, and a year's worth of bragging rights.
So my question is: what is the optimal strategy to win this game? Specifically:
- Do I want to be the smasher or the smashee?
- How tightly or loosely should I hold my egg?
- If I'm smashing, which part of my egg should I use.
- If I'm getting smashed, which part of the egg should I try to get hit?
- What angle should I use to smash when I'm the smasher?