I am working on wording for a report. I need to a word to describe long ranged interaction that is constant in strength. But I am aware that people sometimes use 'long-ranged' to mean decaying strength with $1/r$. I want to describe a constant interaction strength. Any suggestions for intuitive wording?

  • $\begingroup$ Such semantic soft-questions are better asked in e.g. the chat room. $\endgroup$
    – Qmechanic
    Jan 16, 2015 at 12:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Question was closed as I was finishing this answer...Let's coin a new word for a this concept: Anatelic: from ana- (without), and tele (distance). You define it once, and then use it. It doesn't exist (yet) and if your idea takes off, it will be known forever as "your" word. $\endgroup$
    – Floris
    Jan 16, 2015 at 13:26

1 Answer 1



Distance-independant interaction

interaction that does not depend on $r$

interaction that is independent of distance

$r^0$ interaction

... of these the top one would be my favourite - sounds like a pretty unusual interaction that does not depend on $r$. If I was writing I would use the top term and explain it carefully the first time as it sounds so unusual to me. - and maybe occasionally use one of the other expressions below - I agree that 'long-range' does not really fit the bill here.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.