Sorry for this very technical question, but we suffer from this problem at work and I do not know any other place to ask.

Its about a good and cheap way of connecting a glass tube with a metal tube in a vacuum setup. There are some solutions with gradually changing glass-materials in order to minimize the tension caused by the different heating-extensions of metal and glass. However they are rather expensive and we would prefer a cheap solution.

We found a promising image of possible connection, however there was no manufacturer and no name of the flange given. http://b1online.de/public/vacuum.jpg

So does anyone of you recognize this type of flange? Or does anyone know where to ask such a question? What would you suggest as a connection between metal and glass in a vacuum setup?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This is a very good candidate for the Experimental Physics proposal if it ever gets off the ground. $\endgroup$ – dmckee --- ex-moderator kitten Oct 18 '11 at 15:46
  • $\begingroup$ @dmckee, What would stay with the physics.se then? $\endgroup$ – Georg Oct 18 '11 at 16:50
  • $\begingroup$ In the picture You liked here, there are in fact 4 different connectors for tubes. Which is the one You are interested in? $\endgroup$ – Georg Oct 18 '11 at 16:51
  • $\begingroup$ thanks for your comments. I am interested in the connector in the middle of the picture. That one with the black O-ring in it. This connector would be screwed to the left end of the tube-part shown directly above. How is this system called? I would very much appreciate hints :-) $\endgroup$ – ftiaronsem Oct 18 '11 at 21:31

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.