How do you call an effect, when liquid or gas stream is involving the neighboring layers of matter also move?

Like on videos of rocket engines testing, when exhausting gas sucks an air and steam from behind an engine?

RS-25 testing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG8odscqlfI

An effect is visible in an inset, where the nozzle is shown from above.


Bladeless fans work on the base of this effect:

enter image description here

Air is emitted by the circle only, but it involves entire mass in the center to move.


Also injector seemedly uses this

enter image description here

Unfortunately it is said it uses Venturi effect, but I need term about movement, not pressure...

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you referring to shear viscosity? $\endgroup$ – glS Jan 10 '15 at 9:13
  • $\begingroup$ Yes shear viscosity is the basis of this effect, but it has special name in whole. $\endgroup$ – Dims Jan 10 '15 at 11:30
  • $\begingroup$ How about drag? $\endgroup$ – Michiel Jan 10 '15 at 11:32
  • $\begingroup$ Is this common term? $\endgroup$ – Dims Jan 10 '15 at 11:45
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Is the term entrainment? $\endgroup$ – lionelbrits Jan 10 '15 at 12:47

Entrainment of a fluid by viscous drag.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.