The following passage has been extracted from the book "The Magic of Science-A.Frederick Collins" (1917):
Substances of all kinds have pores or holes in them. A sponge has pores that can be seen and so has cheese, be it green or yellow; and so, too, have glass and metals, but the pores or holes in the latter are so small that you couldn't see them even with a high-powered microscope, but in glass they are large enough to let light go through them and in metals they are large enough to let electricity flow through them.
The following passage has been extracted from the book "QED:The strage theory of light and matter-Richard P Feynman" (around 1983-1985):
There are several possible theories that you could make up to account for the partial reflection of light by glass. One of them is that 96% of the surface of the glass is "holes" that let the light through while the other 4% of the surface is covered by small "spots" of reflective material. Newton realized that this is not a possible explanation.
Aren't the two passages in contradiction with each other?
Frederick says that glass is made up of holes that facilitates the passage of light through it, on the other hand Feynman is not ready to come in agreement. I think Frederick is little sloppy. Isn't it?