Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So, in my mechanics class, the teacher mentioned there is a special function which is kind of a midpoint between the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian, called the Routhian. Now, I wanted to give it a look, but I can't find any trace of it in Google, and my mathematical physics teacher never heard of it (the reason I didn't ask my mechanics teacher being that he would probably give me an informal view, whereas I would like to see the mathematical formalism too). Has anyone ever heard of this function, and know where I find some reference of it?

share|cite|improve this question

Before answering, please see our policy on resource recommendation questions. Please write substantial answers that detail the style, content, and prerequisites of the book, paper or other resource. Explain the nature of the resource so that readers can decide which one is best suited for them rather than relying on the opinions of others. Answers containing only a reference to a book or paper will be removed!

try googling for "routh's procedure" or wikipedia: – luksen Nov 30 '13 at 18:29
I found an online description here:… – Kevin Nov 30 '13 at 18:41
There's a nice review in the answer to this question – Kyle Kanos Nov 30 '13 at 19:04
up vote 0 down vote accepted

This approach to classical mechanics is named after Edward Routh (with ou rather than just u). In this approach the Legendre transform is only carried out for the cyclic coordinates. Goldstein covers it in section 8.3 (Routh's procedure).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.