Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a way to photograph air in a room. It makes convection, breathing and movement visible. The result looks a bit like a soap bubble.

This is some kind of optical effect. No special gases or fogs or powders are used.

What's this special form of photography called?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You think of Schlieren method? Google for Schlieren or Schlieren-photography.

[EDIT]: Wikipedia article Schlieren photography

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.