Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 60-gallon aquarium tank and I have always wondered about the flow of water in the tank. Let's represent the flow of water in terms of a direction field representing velocity, so if we see the tank from one side (mainly the wide side) we will see a direction field like in the image below:

flow vector field

But I know there are areas in the tank that have loops where the water is circular, or where the water is simply stagnant and there is no flow (bacteria can form there).

How would I be able to see the flow of water in my tank? What equipment do I need? Better yet, is there some model I can use to determine the flow in my tank?

share|cite|improve this question
Hi Jossie, have you heard of the Navier-Stokes equations? Usually precision modeling of flow takes a huge amount of computational power. You'd probably do better to inject dye into the water and video how it spreads. – Brandon Enright Nov 23 '13 at 18:25
ok i'll just do that, thanks! – Jossie Nov 23 '13 at 18:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.