Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There was some experiment that I read about some time back in which two particles (or the same particle, but split into two) were sent in opposite directions, but when something happened to one, it happened to the other at the same moment, as if they were the same particle.

I thought the word for this was "entrainment", but looking that up does not lead back to this experiment.

What is the term for this, assuming that I am not remembering something that never happened.

share|cite|improve this question
you might mean entanglement. A particle cannot be split in two. – anna v Aug 20 '13 at 7:35

This is called entanglement, the 'spooky' action-at-a-distance phenomenon.

share|cite|improve this answer
Yes, that's it. I knew it was "en-" something "-ment", but it wasn't coming to my shriveled brain. Thanks! – Cyberherbalist Aug 20 '13 at 4:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.