Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Analytical Mechanics (Lagrangian and Hamiltonian) are useful in Physics (e.g. in Quantum Mechanics) but are they also used in application, by engineers? For example, are they used in designing bridges or buildings?

share|cite|improve this question
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about what tools engineers (not physicists) choose to use. – Chris White Jul 5 '13 at 21:45

I'm not an engineer myself, but as far as I know, Lagrangians and Hamiltonians have their use in complicated but calculable situations. In order to solve the e.o.m. for a bridge or so, most engineers rely on specific programs for exactly such a purpose that calculate the statics using Newtonian mechanics and a finite element approach.

share|cite|improve this answer
For static problems engineers use Strain Energy (see Castigliano's method). You might call it negative lagrangian. – ja72 Jul 5 '13 at 14:36

I'm a electrical engineer, and have never used either one in over 30 years of designing circuits. I vaguely remember that we went over them briefly in school, but since I haven't used them (knowingly) since, I can't tell you what the physical meaning of either is, which of course perpetuates the fact that I'm not going to use them.

share|cite|improve this answer

In civil engineering they use it for structures, and strength of materials in the elastic realm. It goes by the name of the enegy method. Google books might give an indication.

Some authors are Beer and the mechanical engineer Stephen Timoshenko.

This is for some what "static" indeterminant structures. So, there is no time element. But, I am sure it could be used dynamicaly for seismic analysis. The structures have virtual loads or displacements applied to them and you get the complimentry diplacement (for load) or load (for displacement) as a result.

It is an elegant use. It can also be applied to warping of beams.

share|cite|improve this answer
Hi qwerty and welcome to Physics.SE! This seems to be part answer and part question. Note that "personal" phrases like "I'm interested in this, too" or "I have the same question" are discouraged here, as they are not fit for our Q&A format. Otherwise, have fun! – ACuriousMind Aug 20 '14 at 1:12
@ACuriousMind true, though I've now edited that part out. – David Z Aug 20 '14 at 2:52

Yes lagrangians and hamiltonians are indeed used by engineers.

To be precise, used by some types of engineers like aeronautical engineers, aerodynamics etc..

For example:

As far as i know electrical engineers dont use the lagrangian nor hamiltonian forms of mechanics nor electromagnetism.

share|cite|improve this answer

protected by Qmechanic Aug 20 '14 at 0:46

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.