Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In a lot of medical literature about blood flow in the brain, researchers denote the amount of volumetric blood flow that passes through a certain amount of brain tissue as "cerebral blood flow". However, its associated unit is volumetric flow per unit of mass, e.g. 50 mililiters per minute per 100 grams of brain tissue.

However, I don't want to mix up actual volumetric flow (e.g. in mililiters per minute) with this volumetric flow per mass. Can you suggest a name for the latter quantity?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The word "specific" (as in specific gravity or specific heat capacity) means per unit mass, so you could call it "specific flow" or "specific volumetric flow".

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.