Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a large cylinder made of a rigid thick plastic with a speaker inside of it. I want to be able to hear high pitched / high frequency noise from the outside but I'm primarily hearing bass. The treble is muffled. What can I do to be able to hear crisp sound from the outside? How should I modify the cylinder or speakers?

share|cite|improve this question

closed as off topic by Brandon Enright, Qmechanic Jun 6 '13 at 9:15

Questions on Physics Stack Exchange are expected to relate to physics within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What can you do to be able to hear crisp sound from the outside – er... remove the cylinder? What do you need that for, it's obvious it won't sound well. Of course you can still mess around with EQing (better ask on AVP then), but this won't so much fix as mitigate the problem. – leftaroundabout Jun 5 '13 at 21:24

Bass consists of lower frequency ranges and longer wavelengths, meaning that produces those vibrations essentially over a longer distance, or at least with more "strength" so that the vibrations of the sound can travel through the plastic material.

However since treble is of a higher frequency range, it travels shorter distances. This also means it cannot produce enough energy to vibrate the surrounding material so that you can hear the treble. If it is open on a single or both sides, the treble will sound more distant and muffled, whereas if the cylinder is closed it will sound almost completely muffled.

It really depends what kind of speaker you're using and the plastic you're using, and whether it is completely enclosed or not.

I suggest cutting a series of miniscule holes (in a close pattern) less than .5in in diameter. Maybe the width of a small drill bit would be good. I would try to do so around where the treble speaker is (if it has that kind of form factor). This will allow for the bass to be amplified and hopefully would allow for the treble to pass through more clearly.

share|cite|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.