Take the 2-minute tour ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For gases, the reference volume in molecular calculations is usually understood to be 24.5 L whereas in solution, the reference volume usually is considered to be 1 L.

The free energy corrections from common computational chemistry programs (e.g. Gaussian or GAMESS) is usually with reference to 1 mol/24.5L and so I wonder how to correctly convert to the solution reference.

If I want the translational free energy with reference to 1 L at $T=298 K$, is it correct to calculate it as

$$ G_{trans}(1L) = G_{trans}(24.5L) - RT \ln(24.5) ? $$

share|improve this question
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.