Take the 2-minute tour ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free, no registration required.

$x''+\gamma x'+w_0^2x=0$

That is the general equation for damped harmonic motion. What is the term or name that describes $\gamma$?

Is it called the damping constant? I know its the ration between the resistive coefficient $b$ and mass of the system $m$ but what do we actually call it ?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

It is common to substitute $\gamma = 2 \zeta \omega_0$. The dimensionless constant $\zeta$ is referred to as the damping ratio. This damping ratio expresses the level of damping relative to critical damping.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.