Sign up ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free.

Is there any plausible experiment by which chirality oscillations in electrons could be observed experimentally, such as through some analogy to neutrino oscillation experiments?

share|cite|improve this question
The presence of an electron mass... –  Michael Brown Mar 19 '13 at 5:30
@MichaelBrown can you be more explicit? The same electron mass for both chiralities? –  anna v Mar 19 '13 at 10:37
The fact that an electron has mass produces oscillations between chiralities. The fact that you can stop an electron is proof that chirality is not a good quantum number for electrons. :) That said: there is a bid difference in scale between electron and neutrino neutrino masses. So to observe chirality oscillations you would need a short distance probe that treats the two chiralities differently, like... the weak interactions. :) –  Michael Brown Mar 19 '13 at 11:39
Indeed you see "helicity" supressed weak decays of the $\pi^\pm$. You could just as well call it chirality supression since what is being measured is the rotation between chirality and helicity eigenstates which is the result of the mass term. –  Michael Brown Mar 19 '13 at 11:40
Michael Brown, concur in particular about mass. While low in mass by most standards, the electron is flat-out gigantic in comparison to a neutrino. I tried to keep my question open for that reason, with the neutrino analogy just intended to say "such things do have visible outcomes... sometimes!" And I certainly agree that it would need to use the weak interaction, as I'm not aware of anything else that distinguishes the chiralities clearly (is there?). Sooo... maybe something like a specific way of reinterpreting of $\pi^{\pm}$ decays, as you may be suggesting, is the best that is possible? –  Terry Bollinger Mar 19 '13 at 13:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.