Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How much can affect (in terms of hump) my X-ray diffraction pattern the "amorphous" glass or maybe someone can suggest me other material to compensate for the small amount of the sample. Note: my sample is a powder.

share|cite|improve this question
X-ray diffraction is not a technique I have any experience with, so I'm a little unclear here. Are you saying that the sample you have is roughly a factor of 100 smaller than the ideal sample and are asking what you can try to do to still get a viable result? Do you know what sets the desired size? – dmckee Feb 12 '13 at 19:58

In the days when I did this sort of thing I used to use silica powder. Yes, you do get a smoothly curved background, but this is easy to seperate from the sharp diffraction lines. I could even get lines from materials adsorbed onto silica powder where the ratio of sample to silica was well below 1:100.

I'm assuming your sample is crystalline - if your sample is amorphous as well I'm afraid you have a problem.

share|cite|improve this answer
Yes, my sample is crystalline. If I use silica powder, which in theory is amorphous but practically there is a little bit crystalline, I can obtain a poor but enough to identify the crystalline phase? Generally I know a little bit about the sample, but I want this type of analysis because it is a complementary to others (Raman, Infrared, etc.) and more "specific". Thanks for your suggestion. – Apopei Andrei Ionut Feb 14 '13 at 21:50
Unless you are using a very unusual source of silica you will get no crystalline peaks from the silica. – John Rennie Feb 15 '13 at 6:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.