Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's say I had an arbitrarily shaped permanent magnet, with total magnetic moment $M_{0}$. Ways to calculate the magnetic field of this magnet include an analytic solution (if one exists), as well as finite element modeling.

Now lets say I wish to calculate the magnetic field if this arbitrarily shaped magnet by replacing it with $N$ identical magnetic dipoles, each with magnetic moment $\frac{M_{0}}{N}$. I then calculate the magnetic field at a point by considering the magnetic field from each of these $N$ magnetic dipoles.

What would you call such a method? I'm sure someone has described this in the literature, I just can't seem to find any references.

share|cite|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.